Welcome

Welcome to my point of view! :)

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Le Dernier Poste

No articles this time, all I will write here will be in reference to my memories and experiences of this class.

1.  What seminar readings, exercises, or assignments were most challenging, interesting, or rewarding for you? Why?

The readings I liked the most were the ones by Norman; The Design of Everyday Things and Emotional Design. I actually do not know why they were more interesting than others, it's probably just the concept. Also, in both articles rather talking about things I didn't know or I hadn't thought about, Norman talked about 'everyday things' — common knowledge everyone has but never names — and defined terms to address them. Maybe this was what made them interesting; being introduced a professional perspective to things that I was already familiar with.
When it comes to picking the best exercise, of course, It was the egg drop! (Or was it an assignment?) Either way, it was fun! And it wasn't just fun, we were introduced to a concept through it which lead to a discussion.
I also enjoyed talking about retail store design, how people make you 'get in there and buy stuff'. That really raised awareness in all of us, I believe. Now when I walk into a store, I check for the things that Paco had talked about. The discussion was also interesting until people started talking about store I had no idea about, I felt like an alien.

2.  What are the most important things you learned in this semester?

As I have said, the concept Underhill introduces were pretty important, and interesting. In addition to learning from a reading, I learned from experiencing. The group presentation for the 9th week was challenging but a very educational assignment. I had done group presentations but this was the most serious and the most intense one, however, I really liked how my group did. Especially, meeting at least two times before every deadline.
            
3.  How might you use this learning in the future?

I believe, in any job I will have in the future, I can and will use knowledge I acquired in this seminar. It was really mind-opening and didactic. 

I would also like to add something. It wasn't only when people talked about retail stores that I felt like an alien. Most of the time I didn't have much of an idea what people were talking about. People mostly talked about American culture and its elements, like Forever 21, American Eagle... I know, that that is the culture of most of the participants of the class and I cannot expect them to talk about the stuff in Europe, but still it was though for me to follow. I really had a hard time finding something to say, and also, I always debated whether to talk about something from back home thinking people would be like; 'what is he talking about?' Therefore my discussion participation was impaired. Both that I didn't understand what people were saying and that what I had to say would be alien to them... So, I would not advice this class to international students, it is do-able, but still a hard time.

Thank you for the quarter! In general I had a great time! Best seminar ever!!!
         

No comments:

Post a Comment