Welcome

Welcome to my point of view! :)

Friday, November 5, 2010

Fight of the month: Whyte vs Gibbs

This post includes answers to two questions directed towards comparing two articles, each the subject of one of the last two blog posts.

  1. To what extent do Whyte and Gibbs approach city design from different perspectives? Do you find one more convincing than the other?

    Whyte's and Gibbs' articles are different in basics. Although they both talk about city design for shopping, it is like they are talking about two completely different things. However, there are some common points they disagree on. Like crowd. Whyte wants a crowded and cluttered street full of people and objects that point people towards the shop. He tries to increase the number of the actual buyer buy massively increasing the number of people near the shopping place, almost hoping that they will turn out to be a customer. I say almost hoping since he proposes other adjustments to increase the chance of converting them into actual buyers. On the other hand, it seems as if Gibbs tries to address the person with the shopping intention already in his head, and make the street more attractive to them against other shopping places. A main difference is that while Whyte favors benches and alike street furniture, Gibbs does not approve such objects, believing in that they will draw loiters to the street. Weighting the whole article; Whyte's points are directed at metropolitan cities. While, Gibbs ideas are for more mediocre cities.
    As far as I'm concerned, I would favor Gibbs. Although I like people and being with them, I do not like overcrowded streets where it is tough to walk. I am a buyer only when I have the intention of buying. Therefore, I want it to be as easy and quick as possible to shop when I want to. Therefore, on the other occasions, like when I'm walking on the street, I would prefer it to be not cluttered and free of loiters, unlikeWhyte's city.
       
  2. What elements of an urban area are particularly attractive to you? What elements repel you?
    As I already said in my previous answer, I do not like overcrowded cities where it is hard to walk. I like people, I really do. I like running into people, having quick chats with them. However, I do not like to slow down my pace since the flow of the street is slow, I do not like to try very hard not to bump into people, I do not like to stop when the person in front of me stops to check a window display, I do not like the street furniture to block my path while I'm walking. I would also want vegetation and scenery.
Now, it is time to go downtown and evaluate this place!

No comments:

Post a Comment